More than $2,000 in cash prizes will be awarded to individuals and teams in the Big2Little Yuba vs. Sutter Health Weight Loss Challenge that begins January 30 and runs through April 30.
The Boards of Supervisors of Yuba and Sutter counties, playing on the historic rivalry between opposite banks of the Feather River, have each adopted resolutions challenging residents to lose weight to see which county can shed more pounds.
Sutter County has a 30 percent obesity rate and Yuba County has a 32 percent obesity rate, which is greater than the statewide average of 24.5 percent. Obesity is linked to many diseases, including diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease. The weight loss challenge is designed to motivate residents to lose weight and to understand the connection between obesity and disease.
The weight loss challenge will be based on percentage of weight lost, and not number of pounds lost, so individuals of differing weights may compete on a more equal footing.
The location and hours of several weigh in locations throughout Yuba and Sutter counties will be announced Monday. Saturday, January 30, will be the first weigh-in day, but weigh ins will continue at some locations for several weeks into the challenge.
Challenge participants must be 18 years old by the day they weigh in to be eligible.
Individual and team categories will be established. A team may consist of as few as 3, but no more than 5, members.
The Challenge is being conducted by Yuba and Sutter counties in cooperation with many community partners. Each of the prizes will be sponsored by a community partner and not by the general fund of either county.
Prize amounts and sponsors (thus far) are:
- First place Yuba County, $250, Harmony Health Medical Clinic.
- First place Sutter County, $250, Rideout Health.
- Second place Yuba County, $175, Ampla Health Center.
- Second place Sutter County, $175, Ampla Health Center.
- Third place Yuba County, $100, Maggie Capitano Farmer’s Insurance.
- Third place Sutter County, $100, Pure Joy Yoga.
- First place team Yuba County (3, 4, or 5 on a team), $500, still unsponsored.
- First place team Sutter County (3, 4, or 5 on a team), $500, still unsponsored.
Businesses or organizations who wish to sponsor one of the prize levels are asked to contact Chuck Smith at 530-822-7100.