California Health and Safety Code Section 103526 permits only specific individuals to receive an AUTHORIZED CERTIFIED COPY of
a birth, death, or Non Confidential Marriage record.
An AUTHORIZED CERTIFIED COPY of a birth record is required to obtain a driver’s license,
passport, social security card and other services related to an individual’s identity.
An AUTHORIZED CERTIFIED COPY of a death record may be required to obtain death benefits,
claim insurance proceeds, notify social security and obtain other services related to an individual’s
Those who do not meet the criteria for an AUTHORIZED CERTIFIED COPY may receive an INFORMATIONAL
CERTIFIED COPY with the words “INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY” imprinted
across the face of the copy.
When ordering in person an authorized individual must complete an approved application
including a sworn statement under penalty of perjury to receive an AUTHORIZED CERTIFIED COPY.When ordering by mail an authorized individual must complete an application form signed under
penalty of perjury and a sworn statement notarized using a Certificate of Acknowledgment.Forms are available on our website
http://www.co.sutter.ca.us/Individuals permitted to receive an AUTHORIZED CERTIFIED COPY:
- The registrant or parent or legal guardian of the registrant
- A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, or an attorney or
a licensed adoption agency seeking the birth record in order to comply with the requirements of
Section 3140 or 7603 of the Family Code.
- A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency,
as provided by law, who is conducting official business
- A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse or domestic partner of the registrant
- An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant’s estate, or any person or agency
empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant’s
- Any funeral director that orders certified copies of a death certificate on behalf of any
individual specified in paragraphs (1) to (5), inclusive, of subdivision (a) of Section 7100 of
the Health and Safety Code