Please enable JavaScript to best view this website.
Skip to Main Content
Skip to Content Menu

Real Property Frequently Asked Questions

Simple Expanded Mode

Below is a list of Real property records frequently asked questions:

  • What types of documents can be recorded?

    Any document affecting title to real property that is authorized or required by law to be recorded. This includes, but is not limited to, Grant Deeds, Deeds of Trust, Mechanic's Liens, Tax Liens, and Reconveyances The recording requirements for documents are established by the codes for the State of California. Documents presented for recording must meet certain basic requirements.

  • How do I record a document?

    Documents are recorded at the Clerk-Recorder's office Monday through Friday. If the document meets recording requirements, the staff will record it while you wait. Documents can be mailed to our office. The mailing address is:
    Donna M. Johnston
    Sutter County Clerk-Recorder
    433 Second Street
    Yuba City, CA 95991


  • How much does it cost to record a document?

    The basic recording fee is $16.00 for the first page of a document and $3.00 for each additional page. This is for a standard 8 1/2" by 11", letter-sized document. If any page of a document is larger or smaller than 8 1/2" by 11", the document will require a $3.00 non-conforming fee for each and every page. Therefore, the fee for a non-conforming document is $19.00 for the first page and $6.00 for each additional page. There also may be additional fees for Documentary Transfer tax, debtor notification on involuntary liens and additional indexing. For a complete list of our fees, please see our Fee Schedule  If you need assistance calculating the recording fees for your document, you may contact our office at (530) 822-7134.

  • What is "Documentary Transfer Tax"? When is it paid?

    "Documentary Transfer Tax" is $0.55 per each $500.00 of the sale price or value of the real property being transferred. It is due at the time of recording on any transfer of real property.

  • Will the Recorder's Office help me prepare my document?

    The Recorder's Office can only provide you with the recording requirements for a document. This office is prohibited by law from providing you with legal advice. We recommend that you contact a legal advisor or title company for assistance in preparing your document.

  • How do I find out what has been recorded for a certain property?

    To find out what documents have been recorded for a certain property requires a search of our records. Searching records is not within the legal scope of this office. However, our records are open to the public 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays and you or your representative are welcome to search our records. Because the grantor/grantee index is a name index, the property owner's name is required in order to search.

  • How do I find out how much a certain property sold for?

    The Recorder's Office does not keep a record of sale prices. Sale prices can be estimated from the amount of the Documentary Transfer Tax shown on a deed. However, the Documentary Transfer Tax amount may not accurately reflect the true purchase price since Documentary Transfer Tax is not charged on assumed loan amounts.

  • How do I find out if a lien has been filed against my property? How do I get it removed?

    You will need to search our records under your name to find out if a lien has been placed against you or if a recorded lien has been released. The Recorder's Office cannot remove any liens placed against you. To have a lien removed, you will need to contact the party who placed the lien.

    If you are unable to open the answers to the above questions, or if you would like a more printable version, try viewing this page in Simple Mode.