Sutter County Transportation Permit Conditions and Restrictions
A Transportation Permit is required anytime a vehicle and/or load exceeds the following dimensions established in section 35780 of the California Vehicle Code (CVC).
- Height greater than 14 feet
- Width greater than 8.5 feet
- Length greater than 40 feet for single unit or 65 feet for combo unit (See CVC 35400)
- Weight greater than LEGAL (See CVC 35550)
If the truck is classified as a STAA truck this permit does not apply and the truck must stay on designated STAA routes. The overall length and semitrailer length limits for STAA trucks, and the State and local authority to identify routes, are codified in CVC Section 35401.5(a) which is copied here in part:
- 35401.5. (a) "A combination of vehicles consisting of a truck tractor and semitrailer, or of a truck tractor, semitrailer, and trailer, is not subject to the limitations of Sections 35400 and 35401, when operating on the" ... (National Network) ... "or when using routes appropriately identified by the Department of Transportation or local authorities as provided in subdivision (c) or (d), if all of the following conditions are met: (1) The length of the semitrailer in exclusive combination with a truck tractor does not exceed 48 feet. A semitrailer not more than 53 feet in length shall satisfy this requirement when configured with two or more rear axles, the rearmost of which is located 40 feet or less from the kingpin or when configured with a single axle which is located 38 feet or less from the kingpin. ..."
Transportation permit restrictions are intended to ensure the safety of the traveling public and protect the investment of taxpayer dollars in the infrastructure of Sutter County. Penalties may be imposed for movements without a required permit or when specified conditions are not met. Transportation permits are enforced by County Sheriff, City Police and the California Highway Patrol (CHP).
Sutter County is offering “NO-CHARGE” transportation permits. These permits are pre-approved and will replace all single trip and annual permits issued by Sutter County. Applicants will need to fill in the required information and sign the permit. The applicant DOES NOT need to send a copy of the permit back to Sutter County, but a copy of the permit must accompany each load being hauled using Sutter County Roads.
Transportation Permit Disclaimer
The permittee is responsible for all liability for personal injury or property damage which may occur through any act or omission of the permittee when acting under this permit, and in the event any claim is made against Sutter County, or any department, officer, or employee thereof, though, by reason of, or in connection with any such act of omission. Permittee shall defend, indemnify and hold them and each of them harmless from such claim.
In the event of damage to Sutter County Road facilities, such as bridges, road surfaces, traffic signs, light standards, etc., resulting from the vehicles' passage, the Sutter County Development Services Department shall be notified immediately by phoning 530-822-7400, or in person at 1130 Civic Center Blvd., Yuba City, CA 95993. Failure to report damage will be considered just cause for cancellation of permit and the County of Sutter shall seek prosecution for “Hit and Run.” Permittee is responsible for a satisfactory arrangement with County of Sutter for repair or replacement of the damaged facility.
Sutter County Highway conditions are subject to change at any time, this permit shall not relieve the permittee from any responsibility of determining the applicable conditions for any move over any proposed route.
NOTE: Mobile Homes, Modules and Structures require a Sutter County Building Permit, Use Permit or Zoning approval if the loads designation is within Sutter County. Contact Sutter County Building Department for further information.
A new fillable transportation permit application, along with required permit conditions are available when the Terms and Conditions are accepted.
For transportation permit questions, please call Development Services at (530) 822-7400.
By clicking on the accept button below, I hereby agree to the terms specified above.