Please enable JavaScript to best view this website.
Skip to Main Content
Skip to Content Menu

Floodplain Development Permit


What is the Purpose of this Permit?

Local governments participating in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) are required to review proposed development projects to determine if they are in identified floodplains as shown on the FEMA maps. If a project is located in a mapped 100-year floodplain (A, AO, AH, AE), the local government must require that a permit be obtained prior to development.

Proposed projects are reviewed and conditions imposed on any permits issued to reduce the potential for damage from floodwater. Permits are required for any development in the floodplain. Permit processing time varies by jurisdiction and project complexity.

Who issues this Permit?

Sutter County Development Services receives applications from developers, homeowners and builders, at which point the County Division of Water Resources is internally solicited for comments. County Water Resources determines if the project is in or out of the floodplain as well as any additional requirements that may apply.

What Activities Require this Permit?

Any development as well as filling or grading activities within the 100 year floodplain.

Do I Need to Include Anything with my Application?

All information required by a building permit or planning application. Applications can be picked up at Development Services at 1130 Civic Center Blvd. Yuba City. If it is determined that a proposed structure will be constructed within a floodplain, an elevation certificate will be required by a local land surveyor, engineer or architect.

How Long Will it Take to Review my Application?

Permit processing time varies by project complexity.

Where do I Submit my Application?

Contact Sutter County Development Services at 1130 Civic Center Blvd, Yuba City, CA 95993

How Long is my Permit Valid?

Development Permits usually last for the duration of the project. Other permits, such as building permits will have expiration dates.

What is the Appeal Process for the Permit?

Property owners can challenge floodplain determinations through the local government appeal process. The property owner has the right to hire a surveyor or engineer to delineate the parcel and determine whether or not it is within a 100 year floodplain. If the property is not within a 100 year floodplain the property owner can submit the finding and request a letter of map amendment or a map revision from FEMA for a fee. For more information on map changes, please call 1-800-336-2627.

Notes / Comments

Floodplain management programs are not consistent statewide, the process varies between local governments along with the fees associated with the permit. What is consistent statewide is if a property owner builds or proposes to build within the 100 year floodplain then they must obtain an elevation certificate. Also, any other development, including filling and grading, may be subject to review.