The Women, Infants and Children Program
What is WIC?
Women, infants, & Children (WIC) Program is a federally-funded health and nutrition program.
Who Can WIC Help?
The WIC program is for all kinds of families: married and single parents, working or not working. If you are a father, mother, grandparent, foster parent or other legal guardian of a child under five, you can apply for WIC.
- Pregnant woman (starting at the first trimester)
- New moms
- Breastfeeding and bottle feeding moms
- Children under 5 years of age
- Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Program
- Migrant families
- Military families
How can WIC help me and my family?
At no cost, WIC provides you and your family with education, food, and resources:
Determine WIC Eligibility
There are three guidelines used to determine if an applicant is eligible to participate in WIC:
- Category: An applicant must be in one of the categories served by WIC.
- Pregnant women (recommend to sign up in the first trimester of pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding women (up to 1 year after delivery)
- Non-breastfeeding women (up to 6 months after the pregnancy)
- Children (under the age of 5)
- Residence: The applicant must live in California (preferably Sutter County)
- Income: The applicant must be within WIC guidelines (based on income before taxes)
- * If you are currently pregnant, count yourself as two (2). Household means a group of people (related or not) who are living as one economic unit.
- Click this link for the income eligibilities guidelines.
How to Apply for WIC
A short screening process over the phone or in-person can help you find out if you qualify for the Sutter County WIC Program. You can call us at: (530) 822-7224 or stop by our main office. You can also send us an email (send a message). Once the screening has been completed, you will be given an enrollment appointment at our main office (lasting about an hour long). Most participants are enrolled and begin receiving benefits within two weeks of the initial screening.
WIC Sites and Offices:
|Site Name||Address||Telephone||Hours of Operations|
|Sutter County Health Department
1445 Veterans Memorial Circle
Yuba City, CA 95991
Monday - Thursday
8:00 am - 5:30 pm
8:00 am - 5:00 pm Closed every other Friday
|Live Oak Boy Scout Building||
2670 Myrtle Street
Live Oak, CA 95993
2nd Thursday of the month
9:00 am - 4:30 pm
|Richland Neighborhood Center||
420 Miles Avenue
Yuba City, CA 95591
1st & 3rd Thursday of the month
9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Breastfeeding Support: It takes a village
WIC supports the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendation of exclusive breastfeeding for about 6 months, with continued breastfeeding for 1 year or longer as mutually desired by mother and infant.
WIC mothers are strongly encouraged to breastfeed their infants unless there is a medical reason not to. All WIC staff are trained to promote breastfeeding and provide the necessary support new breastfeeding mothers and infants need for success. The WIC Peer Counselor program supports new moms during their pregnancy with education, help and “how-to-breastfeed” support; after delivery of your baby, our peer counselors check in with moms to ensure questions are answered and feeding gets off to a good start. The Sutter County WIC Program has available to all WIC moms, an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC), who can help with more challenging breastfeeding issues. WIC can also assist mothers who may need a breast pump after returning to work or school.
WIC offers a wide variety of classes to meet the needs of your family. General nutrition class topics are changed every three months.
With WIC’s new online program you are able to complete your classes online at any time and from the convenience of your own home! Talk to a WIC employee today!
- Also introducing California WIC’s new mobile website!
- Find all this at your fingertips:
- Nearby WIC locations
- Nearby WIC grocers
- The WIC Food List/Shopping Guide
- Your next WIC appointment
- Your food checks received
- WIC income guidelines
- Plus much more!
- Bookmark it today!
- Like us on Facebook !
- WIC is an equal opportunity provider