Please enable JavaScript to best view this website.
Skip to Main Content
Skip to Content Menu
Real Property Frequently Asked Questions Collapsible Mode

Below is a list of Real property records frequently asked questions:

Any document affecting title to real property that is authorized or required by law to be recorded. This includes, but is not limited to, Grant Deeds, Deeds of Trust, Mechanic's Liens, Tax Liens, and Reconveyances The recording requirements for documents are established by the codes for the State of California. Documents presented for recording must meet certain basic requirements.

Documents are recorded at the Clerk-Recorder's office Monday through Friday. If the document meets recording requirements, the staff will record it while you wait. Documents can be mailed to our office. The mailing address is:
Donna M. Johnston
Sutter County Clerk-Recorder
433 Second Street
Yuba City, CA 95991


The basic recording fee is $16.00 for the first page of a document and $3.00 for each additional page. This is for a standard 8 1/2" by 11", letter-sized document. If any page of a document is larger or smaller than 8 1/2" by 11", the document will require a $3.00 non-conforming fee for each and every page. Therefore, the fee for a non-conforming document is $19.00 for the first page and $6.00 for each additional page. There also may be additional fees for Documentary Transfer tax, debtor notification on involuntary liens and additional indexing. For a complete list of our fees, please see our Fee Schedule  If you need assistance calculating the recording fees for your document, you may contact our office at (530) 822-7134.

"Documentary Transfer Tax" is $0.55 per each $500.00 of the sale price or value of the real property being transferred. It is due at the time of recording on any transfer of real property.

The Recorder's Office can only provide you with the recording requirements for a document. This office is prohibited by law from providing you with legal advice. We recommend that you contact a legal advisor or title company for assistance in preparing your document.

To find out what documents have been recorded for a certain property requires a search of our records. Searching records is not within the legal scope of this office. However, our records are open to the public 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays and you or your representative are welcome to search our records. Because the grantor/grantee index is a name index, the property owner's name is required in order to search.

The Recorder's Office does not keep a record of sale prices. Sale prices can be estimated from the amount of the Documentary Transfer Tax shown on a deed. However, the Documentary Transfer Tax amount may not accurately reflect the true purchase price since Documentary Transfer Tax is not charged on assumed loan amounts.

You will need to search our records under your name to find out if a lien has been placed against you or if a recorded lien has been released. The Recorder's Office cannot remove any liens placed against you. To have a lien removed, you will need to contact the party who placed the lien.
Return to Collapsible Mode