Please enable JavaScript to best view this website.
Skip to Main Content
Skip to Content Menu

Clerk-Recorder Opens Office Four Hours This Saturday To Meet Demand For Passports
May 09, 2017

Sutter County Clerk-Recorder Donna Johnston announced today the Clerk-Recorder's Office will be open from 8 a.m. to noon this Saturday to accommodate growing demand for passports.

"We normally process 40 to 50 passports a week," Johnston said. "We now see that many in a day."

The Clerk-Recorder cited several possible factors in the increase in passport applications arriving at her office: some people are concerned they will need a passport to board a domestic flight; some people seek passports to document their legal status or the legal status of their children; and long lines in other locations are causing some to seek out smaller counties to apply for passports.

Under federal law, a California driver's license currently is acceptable identification to board a domestic airline flight. However, the state's driver's licenses do not currently meet new standards for security established by the federal government after 9-11. The deadline for all states to comply is in 2020, but California has been relying on the federal government to grant it temporary extensions. If it is not granted more extensions, California may be forced to comply as early as next year.

The Sutter County Clerk-Recorder's office is a passport acceptance agent. The office accepts and verifies all the information needed, and forwards applications to the Passport Agency. The passport is mailed from the Passport Agency. Applications are typically processed Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

A passport is an internationally recognized travel document attesting to the identity and nationality of the bearer. A passport indicates that its bearer is entitled to receive the protection and assistance of the diplomatic and consular officer of their country while abroad. In essence, it is a request on the part of the issuing government that officials of foreign governments permit the bearer to travel or sojourn (take temporary residence) in their territories and afford them all lawful aid and protection.

A U.S. passport may be issued to a citizen or national of the United States.

For information what to bring when you apply for a passport, visit

The Clerk-Recorder's Office is located at 433 Second Street, Yuba City.